martes, marzo 14, 2006

Momentos de furia y hastío en la literatura inglesa

Milton supo recitar,

which way shall I fly
Infinte wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is hell; myself am hell;
And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide,
To which the hell I suffer seems a heav'n.
O then at last relent: is there no place
Left for repentance, none for pardon left?
None left but by submission; and that word
Disdain forbids me

Instantes antes, el oscuro amigo Marlowe había dicho,

Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it.

Siglos más tarde, el diablo reaparece en un mantra de Bernard Shaw, el gran desenmascarador social, en cierto tercer acto que aberrantemente es prescindible para el mundo académico,

But I will now go further, and confess to you that men get tired of everything, of heaven no less than of hell; and that all history is nothing but a record of the oscillations of the world between these two extremes. An epoch is but a swing of the pendulum; and each generation thinks the world is progressing because it is always moving. But when you are as old as I am; when you have a thousand times wearied of heaven, like myself and the Commander, and a thousand times wearied of hell, as you are wearied now, you will no longer imagine that every swing from heaven to hell is an emancipation, every swing from hell to heaven an evolution. Where you now see reform, progress, fulfilment of upward tendency, continual ascent by Man on the stepping stones of his dead selves to higher things, you will see nothing but an infinite comedy of illusion.